Pumpkin leaf, popularly known as Ugwu in Nigeria is a beneficial dark green leafy vegetable which is cultivated majorly in West Africa. There are various species of this crop but the commonest Nigerians consume is known as “telfaira occidentalis”. The vegetable is very versatile as it can be boiled and eaten plain or used in preparing delicious soups to accompany various types of meal like wheat, , , amala and the rest.
One might ask, “Is it necessary to consume more pumpkin leaves?” The answer is yes! Pumpkin leaves contain a great amount of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium and Iron. These nutrients, aid better vision, makes the bones and teeth stronger and helps the body heal wounds faster.
We’ll uncover the health benefits of this vegetable, and find out why you need to stop neglecting pumpkin leaves as part of your regular balanced diet.
Health Benefits of Eating Pumpkin.
1. : Pumpkin is a low calorie vegetable that speeds up metabolism within the body to trigger fat reduction in the body.
2. Contains a Great Amount of Vitamins: It is an excellent source of vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin C, riboflavin, potassium, Copper and Manganese, Thiamin, Niacin, vitamin B6, Foliate, Iron, magnesium and phosphorus which reduces the risk of cancer and cures anaemia.
3. Makes Digestion Easier: Pumpkin is a very good source of insoluble fibre which aids better digestion. When it travels through your intestines, it traps water and increases the moisture incorporated in your faeces. This makes the process of excretion a lot easier.
4. Boosts Immune System: The veggie contains anti-oxidants, such as alpha-carotene and Beta–carotene which help to slow down ageing process. All these nutrients put together also improve your skin and hair quality. Now you can see the reasons the leaf will help boost your immunity.
5. Contains Sugar Reducing Effects: As a result of the leaves hypoglycemic index and its nature of slowly releasing sugar into the blood, it forms part of the best diet for diabetic patients.
6. Boosts Fertility and Proper Lactation: Pumpkin has the ability to regenerate testicular damage and increase spermatogenesis. It can also be used by nursing mothers to aid lactation.
Other benefits of consuming pumpkin include, prevention of convulsion, increase in blood volume, protection of the body from bacterial infection as well as protecting the liver.