Fish is among the healthiest food on the planet. It is loaded with important nutrients such as protein and vitamin D.
Fish is also one of the worlds best sources of omega 3 fatty acid which are incredibly healthy for the body and brain.
Below are eight reasons why you should consume fish more:
1.FISH IS HIGH IN IMPORTANT NUTRIENTS
Generally, all types of fish are healthy and good for you. They contain many important nutrients such as Iodine, vitamin D and protein which many people are not getting enough of.
However,fishes that are fatty such as salmon, tuna etc are considered the healthiest as they carry very high amounts of omega three fatty acid and vitamin D which is beneficial for calcium absorption for bone health and growth.
2.FISH CONTAINS NUTRIENTS THAT ARE BENEFICIAL IN HEART HEALTH
The omega three fatty acid found in fish is can prevent inflammation and is crucial in sustaining heart health and preventing cardiovascular diseases.
3. The omega 3 fatty acids in fish aid brain function and foetus development of vision and nerves.
4. The nutrients in fish makes it useful for decreasing the risk of depression,dementia,diabetes and Alzheimer's disease.This is because fish consumption increases grey brain matter which reduces brain shrinkage and deterioration that can lead to brain function complications.
5. Fish is a low fat high protein food and is thus a suitable replacement for meat, especially for those with nutritional concerns.
6. Oily/fatty fish species are useful in the prevention of arthritis. This is because, the fish oil serves as a lubricant to human joints and is rich in vitamin C, thus preventing osteoporosis, osteomalacia, arthritis and other bone related diseases.
7. It helps lower cholesterol levels. Omega 3 fatty acids in fish assists in lowering LDL (also known as bad cholesterol) levels in the body. The omega 3 fatty acids are known to help lower cholesterol building lipids in the blood.
8. Fish consumption is useful in reducing the risk of autoimmune diseases. The vitamin D content of fish assists in the body's immunity and glucose metabolism, thus reducing the risk of autoimmune diseases such as type 1 diabetes.